Rhinestones can be a great investment, especially when cared for properly. Not only will caring for your jewelry help preserve it for years to come, but it will also make it possible for future generations to enjoy it.
Rhinestone jewelry is made of metal, so unlike silver or gold, it will oxidize and wear off over time. This can be remedied through simple cleaning methods. You don’t have to go out of your way to hire a professional cleaner. Here are a few pointers:
- Never spray glass cleaner directly on the jewelry. Use a small cloth to clean the area and cotton swabs to target the places that are hard to reach.
- Use non-abrasive cleaners.
- Do not submerge rhinestones with foil backing in water, as they can be easily damaged.
- Be gentle with your rhinestone jewelry when cleaning it. If you’re too forceful, the piece may come apart and it might become difficult to repair.
- Avoid wearing your jewelry whilst taking part in rigorous activities. It’s also best to keep your jewelry away from hairspray, lotion, makeup and other beauty products.
Harsh environments tend to damage rhinestone jewelry. Make it a point to keep them in cool, dry, smoke and dust-free places.